Roman Bridge of Boisseron

The bridge, spanning the river Benovia, probably dates from the 1st century AD. under the reign of the Roman emperor Tiberius, as was the Sommières bridge.

It was located on a track connecting the Via Domitia at Sextantio (Castelnau-le-Lez) to Sommières, the bridge of which allowed access to the Via Luteva depending on Nîmes and the central massif. It also allows access via the right bank of the Vidourle to Ambrussum, then in the Middle Ages access to Lunel and the Languedoc salt market.

This salt route justifies the creation of the village in the 12th century by the Bermonds of Anduze and the local establishment of a priory dependent on the abbey of Psalmodi. The ancient work is entirely preserved: its downstream part is visible but the upstream part is masked by the doubling carried out in 1833-36 for the renovation of the royal road going from Montpellier to Puy en Velay.

The Roman bridge has a fairly marked humpback profile, symmetrically centered on a main arch 9.42m above the bed of the river, and with to the right and left 2 arches of decreasing height and width. The 4 piles were pierced with gills, now walled up, to facilitate the flow of water, and had triangular spouts upstream to avoid the blockage of driftwood.

In the direction of Sommières, the ancient way bypassed the rocky massif to the west, which was dug in a straight line in the 19th century. The deck was slightly raised in the 19th century, in order to obtain a modern horizontal passageway.

Bridge Boisseron 1790

Votre navigateur est dépassé !

Mettez à jour votre navigateur pour voir ce site internet correctement. Mettre à jour mon navigateur